February 28, 2007

History As I Know It

My fourth Youtube video. This one is a bit different, because I actually spent time finding pictures and then I put them to music (well more of a narration piece), and then I did lots of editing (about 3 hours worth, which is more than one hour for each one minute of video), using Windows Movie Maker.
I hope it is enjoyable at least:

The narration is from the animated movie, "The Point." I remember watching it in the early 70's a few times. Why it isn't on frequently, or at all anymore, is sort of mind boggling. It is really one of those cartoons that makes a pre-teen or an early teen think. Maybe that is why.

From Wikipedia: The Point! is a fable by American songwriter and musician Harry Nilsson about a boy named Oblio, the only round-headed person in the Land of Point, where by law everyone and everything had to have a point.

"I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it.'" -- Harry Nilsson

I figured the narration I selected was obscure enough and unique enough to give my video production a real artsy fartsy touch.

Youtube took away the science and technology category (to piss off secularists perhaps?), so I had to file the above video under "entertainment."

Oh, and I said that this was my fourth Youtube video. I haven't posted my third one on my blog yet, so I might as well now. Just a short video of my doggie:

Daisy is such a good girl:)

12 comments:

  1. You've been having fun. I have to say I like the video of the dog the best and that was probably the easiest to do. That is one smart doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAJ:

    I like the first video but the captions follow each other real quick, making it hard to keep track (or maybe it's just me being slow).

    Also, you're rather cavalier in dismissing things like the exodus or the existence of a man called Jesus. It's clear that much of what is written in the Holy texts has been embroidered and embellished over centuries to the point where discerning possible kernels of historical truth from add-ons is almost impossible. That doesn't mean to say that if you subtract the supernatural bits you don't end up with something that doesn't have any historical significance at all. It does mean that there exists no incontrovertible proof that events like the exodus actually happened.

    The same is true of the Jesus-myth: clearly there was no son of god, but that doesn't mean a man called Jesus never existed. It does mean that much of what has been attributed to this man (real or invented) is pure quatch. We can be fairly certain that there was no son of god but cannot really prove the historical figure existed or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Gert, it isn't you. I will learn from my mistake, the captions in many cases disappeared too fast.

    As far as the historical Exodus or historical Jesus, I am a strong believer that either of those should have lots and lots of contemporary evidence to support them....in fact, there is none. And knowing what I know about the idea of how most religions started, I think it is fair to conclude that neither happened.

    This is a great read that may give you a better perspective of what I'm talking about. It has to do with the historical Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on training your dog that was very impressive.

    I found some of your captions to be hard to read, mainly because they blended into the background sometimes. also the mix of captions, pictures and audio made it confusing as to what the viewer is supposed to focus on.

    I doubt you tube would get rid of the science section just to annoy secularist. probably from lack of viewers most people watch you tube to watch people fall of stuff or bike into wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the use of automobile seats salvaged from the wrecking yard that you use for furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAJ:

    Actually on historical revisionism of the holy texts and the evolution of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, I would warmly recommend to read Karen Armstrong's 'A History of God'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just listened to a Karen Armstrong interview. I think she starts with assumption that Jesus had to have existed, which is not the way to do it.
    The rest is history of philosophy.
    I think being a former nun, she refuses to try to assume Jesus didn't exist, and then look for evidence that he did.
    That is the correct way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BEAJ:

    Armstrong does indeed write as if she accepts the existence of historical figures like Jesus and Mohammad. That actually makes her account of the evolution of early Judaism, somewhat later Christianity and much later Islam all the more interesting: in many ways she arrives at the same conclusions as we do: that most of religious thought is indeed made-up and that God is almost certainly a socio-political construct.

    Any starting hypotheses can be 'positive' or 'negative' as long as the researcher follows the evidence in an unbiased way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your dog is smarter than 66.6% of the people I work with everyday. Oh and ricky the hitler fanatic.

    I think the next time we are looking for new staff I’m going recommend we interview Border Collies.

    ReplyDelete