March 28, 2006

Spirit in the Sky by Gareth Gates and The Kumars



This is just one song that I never had a problem with when it came to saying the word "Jesus" out loud while not cursing.

OK, I never heard of Gareth Gates before, but it turns out he was a contestant in Britain's talent show Pop Idol in 2002, and was subsequently signed up by Simon Cowell's record label. This version of Spirit in the Sky (for Comic Relief) climbed to number one on the charts in 2003 for a couple of weeks. It was his 4th number one on the UK charts. Wow, where have I been?

The Kumars(at 42), is a UK talk show hosted by a fictional Indian family. Again, I never heard of it until today.


Spirit of the Sky was written by Norman Greenbaum, a Jew. It came out in 1970 and made it to Number One. According to Wikipedia "The lyrics' ambiguous interpretation of Christian doctrine can be attributed to the fact that Norman Greenbaum was Jewish, not Christian; the song was never intended to proselytize for Christianity (or indeed for Judaism or any other religious group), but was a send-up of what he perceived as naïveté on the part of religious people in general.
Fundies are the most naive people on this planet. And talk about ambigious. Their "Word of God" has so many interpretations, that if you ask 5 Fundies about what is immoral and what is heaven and you'll get 3 different answers for each question and 2 shrugs.

Part of Norman Greenbaum's version plays automatically at the song's website.

From an interview with Greenbaum: "his parents were quite shocked when they heard their son singing a song about Jesus on the radio. However, when it climbed to the tops of the charts they asked “got any more?”.

6 comments:

  1. Mr. Bacon,

    Spirit in the Sky by Gareth Gates and The Kumars

    You picked a good "tune"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some video. I loved the visuals and the sound. However, if you want to see a really uplifting video, watch this!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi2CfuqcUGE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rubin, I'm glad you enjoyed it. That is what life is all about.

    Jason, yep that was a quite a nice feel good video, had me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAJ I think to give equal time to Islam, you should post a video link to the Clash's "Rock the Casbah" released in the mid 80's. That song is blasphemy with a capital "B".


    "by order of the prophet,
    ban that boogie sound,
    degenerate the faithful,
    with that crazy Casbah jive.
    Sharif don't like it,
    Rocking the Casbah, Fuck the Casbah!"

    It mocks Islam through the whole song.

    I like to think what would be the Muslim response if that song, or one like it, were to be released today?

    Where are the Clash when you need them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I do an anti-terror post I'll see if I can dig it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love this clip by the Kumars. I am going to have to post it on my blog as well. I especially like the background info you have offered concerning the writing and the original intent of the song. Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete